Monday, March 5, 2012

Ferrari Fantasies


458

Every ten year old boy has a dream car. The one he hangs posters of on his bedroom wall and fantasizes about one day driving. Let’s get real though, that dream follows most of us right into manhood. And while our wives might not let us hang pictures of it in the bedroom, its image and sound is still burned into the testosterone pumping part of our brains. The car that takes up most of my daydreaming is the Ferrari 458. Since the first one I saw on the British autoholic show “Top Gear” I’ve been thinking of ways to become an overnight millionaire so I can buy one. I’ve never seen a more beautiful car than the 458. Well now Ferrari is trying to steal that dream from me and replace it with the newest addition to their lineup; the F12 Berlinetta. The F12 is Ferrari’s replacement for the 599 GTB Fiorano which has been in production since 2006. While the F12 has a similar shape to that of its predecessor, hints of the 458 and the FF are present in the headlights and grill. It even shares the same 12 cylinder engine as the FF that produces an astounding 730 horsepower. Let me repeat that one more time, 730 horsepower. I guess 700 is the new 600. In addition to the added power this new model has been on the Atkins diet and shed 370 lbs. More power and less weight, sounds like a winner to me. It’s also shorter, slimmer, and lower than the GTB. Ferrari claims a 0-62 time of 3.1 seconds with a top speed of 211 mph which is impressive to say the least. But is it enough to steal my heart? Not yet. While the  F12 Berlinetta will likely be an incredible car, for now the 458 still rules my dreams day and night.

F12 Berlinetta


No comments:

Post a Comment